As a home inspector, I look at the home from two major perspectives; it’s a living space, so
safety, health and liability concerns are considered, but it’s also an investment, so regular repairs and maintenance
A professional home inspection is in my opinion absolutely necessary, however prior to your home inspection while you're still looking at homes it's important to look at things a bit from my perspective.
This can help you prioritize your search and hopefully streamline the process.
I've included a short list here which I believe to be helpful in a successful home search.
Prior to your home search
- Know your budget.
- Define your goals.
- Define needs vs. wants.
- Remain objective.
Keep in mind
- There is no such thing as a perfect home.
- Every home has aspects that could have been done smarter, safer, and healthier.
- Every home could benefit from upgrades, these can be done over time, minimizing immediate financial impact.
- Look for obvious neglected maintenance on siding, doors, windows, trims, and the gutter system (if present).
- How's the roof look? Are there any missing, broken, or curling shingles?
- How about the siding? Is it in need of paint? Does it need maintenance?
- Look for signs of persistent water staining or damage. Both interior and exterior.
- Always be on the look out for neglected maintenance.
- Take pictures.
- Electrical - Is the service size adequate? Are the number of receptacles sufficient for your needs? Are they 2 or 3 prong?
- Heating & Cooling - Is central a/c installed? What type of heating system is present?
- Plumbing - City or well water? Septic or city sewage? Water heater size adequate for your needs?
- Appliances - Gas or Electric? Are the appliances in reasonable condition, or will they need upgrades?
This is just the start! Home Inspectors evaluate hundreds of items in the average home, and because we do it on a regular basis we know what and where to look. A good inspector will be able to educate you about the home and help you understand the true condition of the home.
home | resources
email: hello(at)midwesthomeinspect.com | phone: 651-964-9339